Monday, February 2, 2009

Where Babies Come From



"Mom, how do you get a baby?" Grace asks me while we were driving to go pick up Reece.


I have to admit, it took me by surprise, neither Reece or Madison have cared much to ask. They know babies come out of mommy bellies, but have not cared much beyond that. How they get there, where exactly they come out . . . .


"Babies come out of mommy bellies, Grace." Oh please let that be all I plead in my head.

"Yes, but how do they get there?" Grace asks again. She is not about to let me off the hook.


"Well, you get married (don't you love how I threw in that moral nugget) and then have a baby."


"Like Krista . . she has a baby." Grace muses.


"Mmhmm."


"But how do you get a baby?" Grace persists. Boy this girl is persistent today!!


"A mommy and daddy get married, they love each other and create a precious baby." I tell her. You have to cut me a break here, Grace is only four and I told myself I would always tell my kids the truth, but make it age appropriate. I thought I was doing pretty good.


"But Betty has a baby and she doesn't have a husband, Mom!" Grace scolds me, like I have told her something untrue.



Now how am I supposed to explain teen pregnancies?! I was just patting myself on the back for throwing in the moral nugget and Little Miss Smarty throws me a curve ball.



"That's true Grace," I tell her, "Betty does have a baby and no husband. She had love for another man that she didn't marry and they had a baby. The Bible tells us that we need to get married first though, then have a baby. OK Grace?"



"OK." Grace paused for a minute while I could actually see the wheels turning in her head. "I think I'll just have kitties."



"OK, Grace, I think that sounds lovely." I tell her.

4 comments:

Robin hill farm said...

Ha ha. That's hilarious! Just have kitties! I can tell that Grace is the little comedian of the family. :)

Jessica L said...

Keep an eye on that one. I hear the third child is the craziest. :)

(And, yes, I am a third child... Why do you ask?)

kells times four said...

That is soooooo funny! Grace would be the one to be so curious! Goes along with her personality! Such a little doll. I love her innocence! Good luck with her when she gets older and has "other" curiousity type questions for you! hehe...not looking forward to the birds and the bees talk with Collin...

Jenn Lopez said...

Precious!!! Cayton and Isaac did something simular, but to their Grandma Lopez. They were persistant as to HOW the baby got OUT of mommy! I could only imagine the shades of red Stephanie must have turned when explaining. Great teaching moment with Grace though. You're an awesome mommy!