Sunday, November 9, 2008

Color


Race has never been much of a thing in our family. I could care less what color someones skin color is. Raising our kids we have told them that God makes us all different and unique. It would be boring to have a garden with all the same kind of flower, all the same color, wouldn't it?

With Obama being elected I know my kids have been hearing things like, "The first African American President" and the such. So, it wasn't too much of a surprise when my son popped a question to his dad the other night.

Mike and Reece were picking up a friend after he got off work. As they were waiting in the truck for the friend to come out Reece asks Mike, "What color is Brian?"


"WHAT?!" asks Mike completely taken by surprise.


"Is Brian black?" Reece asks.


"Reece, you know Brian, he's white like us." Mike responds.


"Ohhhh, you mean peach." Reece says satisfied.


I do have to say, I think my son is on to something. You don't go for the white crayon when coloring you reach for the peach one. So for now on when asked my race, I do believe I will state, Peach.

3 comments:

kells times four said...

That's funny, cause that's what Collin said about that age, when asked what color his skin was! Too cute!

Jessica L said...

Yup. Madeline can't say that her pictures are complete unless she has used her peach pencil and colored everyone in with peach skin.

Krista Motsinger said...

good job reece!!! smart kid!!!