Thursday, June 5, 2008

Taking the Kids to California







As many of you know, I'm originally from California. My parents, brother and his family along with most of my extended family, all live down there. So once a year, I take the 16 hour long drive down to my parents house for a little visit. In recent years, my kids have been going down and staying by themselves for a small portion of the summer. This gives them such a great opportunity to get to really know there grandparents. Of course they get quite a bunch of time with there cousins as well. It kills me to leave them there but I do it so that they have that special bond with there grandparents and there grandparents do not become these strangers they hardly know. Family is very important to us. :)
Right now, my kids are down there and staying for the month of June. I've received a few videos and pictures from them. It makes me miss them all the more. They are enjoying playing with there cousins, having breakfast with there great-grandparents, going miniature golfing, visiting parks and playing video games with Gramps.
As for me, I've had some awesome time with my husband, it's reminded us what it was like when we were first married. I have worked on unpacking those moving boxes from a year ago, cleaned out the garage, will be cleaning kids bedrooms, painting, and some much needed sprucing up outside. . It's been great to get some projects done, but I still find myself thinking, oh, Maddie would love to help me plant this bush or what perfect weather for Reece to ride his bike. I miss my little ones! I miss there hugs and silly things they say. :)

3 comments:

imjustaphoneguy said...

Sounds like leaving your kids here is allot of work! Do you think Reese can handle a 12 guage yet?

Sarah said...

Don't you dare, phone guy!!! Don't you dare!!!

Robin hill farm said...

The kids are gone for the whole month?! Oh, I'd be missing them, too. But enjoy the little break you get. Lee's mom is going to be watching the older kids in August for a week. I think that Lee and I are gonna go camping and go hiking. A more difficult hike that we wouldn't be able to do with the kiddos. That is, if we can afford to fill the gas tank! :)