Monday, June 29, 2009

Tourist Detour

***** Warning******* The blog post below has some icky pictures. If you have a weak stomach or just plain prefer not to see icky flesh wounds, don't read. I promise to post fun pictures of the rest of our weekend trip soon, so you wont be left out :)


There is nothing like a trip to the ER to add that special something to any trip. Lets face it, you don't forget the trip when you went to check out the local hospital of the town you are visiting. Blood, tears and carnage will add so many memories.

We went to Spokane, Washington this past weekend with Mike's brothers, their families, friend and friend's family. It was a weekend filled with crowds, basketball, food, heat, fountains, laughter and . . . wait for it . . . . . you know it's coming . . . . . the pediatric wing of the emergency room. Was it worth that wait? ;)

Reece went with his Daddy to play Laser Tag with the guys and Mada. Apparently, he got pushed down while playing and got hurt. He didn't want to stop, he was doing pretty good and owning everyone with his mad laser skills. Plus, it was dark and Mike and I don't think he realized how bad he had cut up his knee. After the game was over, Reece came out and told Mike he got hurt.


This was when I got a phone call. "Sarah, Reece fell and cut his knee up pretty bad. I'm walking back to the hotel with him now."

I wasn't too concerned because I didn't hear my little guy crying in the background and he was walking back to the hotel all on his own. Couldn't be bad, I thought, because my kids have a flare for the dramatics and I have seen them get the tiniest cut and come unglued like they had cut their arm off.

Reece and Mike get back to the hotel and I take a peak at Reece's knee.
Hmmm, that picture doesn't really show you, does it? How about this one . . .


Hmmm, yeah, this looks a bit deep. Think stitches may be in order.


- Can we take a break here for me to sing the praises of GPSs. I love, no wait . . . . I LOVE that I was able to click in find closest hospital into my GPS and off it took me right to the ER door. Thank you my dear friend.

So, we left the girls with their Aunts and Uncles and we we jetted Reece over to the ER.

- OK, one more little break for me to say Spokane's ER rocks. They have a section for pediatrics and we got right in. I LOVED that I didn't have to sit and fill out tons of insurance paperwork before we got in the door and treated. So many other hospitals want that done before they will even see you . . . I wont name names, but lets just say, I've seen enough ER rooms since having kids and well, marrying Mike. The staff was awesome! Friendly, skilled and just plain awesome. They are super great with kids.



All right, back to Reece. The kid was doing great. Not so much as a whimper from the guy! He said it hurt, but wasn't shedding a tear. Brave little guy. They got us into our room and the Dr. was in pretty quick. He checked Reece's joints out and all was good. Verdict - stitches needed.



He flushed out Reece's wound and then brought out the HUGE needle to numb it up. He jabbed that thing into Reece's wound all over. This hurt and Reece sounded off his first wail. Mike's and my heart broke. A nurse came by and asked if all was all right in the room and shut door. After a few minutes the Dr. spoke and said to Reece, "I'm not sure you can feel this anymore, Little Guy." At which Reece took a breathe and paused and then decided the Dr. was right and stopped wailing. Out came the needle and thread.

The Dr. sewed him up. Reece was happily watching ICarly on the TV, oblivious to the whole thing. The Dr. talked about cheese to Mike and I . . because that is what people do when they find out where we are from.
All Done. Good as new . . . well, in 7-10 days, when he has to get his 6 stitches out.

4 comments:

Jessica L said...

Cheese? Yummy. :)

Sarah said...

You would of been impressed Jess, he makes his own cheese.

imjustaphoneguy said...

A chip off the old block...

beth said...

Oh, my goodness. Poor little guy. I hope he enjoyed the rest of the trip after "the accident". :)